Wednesday, October 3, 2012

John Poor Band

I wrote this album review!


Jon Poor Band

When I first heard Jon Poor Band I had the idea that they juxtaposed rock and folk in order to purposefully create their own sound, but after more consideration I found that the music gives its creators depth otherwise not found in similar bands. Their folk-rock hybrid is similar to the sound found in popular “jam bands” such as Wilco and Widespread Panic. It is no wonder Jon Poor has a song named after the band, Wilco, because the folk-rock tone of this band regenerates the newly found popularity that folk music has enjoyed.  Also, to acknowledge classic rock inspirations, Poor’s song “I Dream in Sound” is reminiscent of Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show’s “Cover of The Rolling Stone”. But, Poor individualizes his music through his use of very personal lyrics and grudge-worthy use of synthesizer.

Their compulsory rock ballad is the narrative of a lost or failing relationship, and is reminiscent of every friend we ever had crying on our shoulders and whimpering about their breakup. With a blend between folk harmonies and rock distortion synergizing his sound, Poor personalizes the song “Bring Me Down”.  The band has a surprising perspective on rock; they lead with introspective lyrics and simple repetitive sounds then, shift to almost jarring guitar solos. The song “I Dream in Sound” diverges from what the listener expects in a song that will start off with solo guitar and vocals. The introduction uses a solo guitar and repetitive sounds, but surprisingly they incorporate drums and a heavy alternative-rock tone, which later shifts even heavier with their gnarly use of a synthesizer. All of the tricks and sparks of rock music composition are abandoned in the song, which is this album’s name-sake, “Out in the Woods”. Here, Poor introduces a subtle duet between male and female vocals, which begs the listener to give him affirmation of the man he is today and grant him a day in the woods.

NOTEWORTHY LYRICS

“I got demons of my own
But baby I want yours”  –  “Back Half of a Wilco Song”

“What was it I said to get you so upset
Did I hit your trigger baby?…
now your just bringin me down” – “Bring Me Down”

No comments:

Post a Comment